WWF-NL is looking for an intern to research Nature-based Solutions, starting September 2023.
Intern - Nature-based Solutions
Nature Based Solutions
Nature Based Solutions (NbS) are defined by IUCN as: actions to protect, sustainably manage, and restore natural or modified ecosystems, that address societal challenges effectively and adaptively, simultaneously providing human well-being and biodiversity benefits. with the enhancements in conceptualization, effective implementation and scaling.
NbS have become increasingly important for Nature Conservation for several reasons. It asks for a system-based approach in which all different stakeholders such as local communities, government and companies are involved. This increases their chance of long term success.
In our NbS team we are looking for an intern to provide ad hoc support in the development of scoping and feasibility studies on the NbS cases that WWF-NL is developing in several landscapes: Lukanga Swamps, Pantanal, Atlantic Forest, Costal areas in Caribbean countries and Coral Triangle. The kind of support provided consists of:
- performing research on NbS examples and case studies dedicated to address selected societal challenges, such as climate adaptation, water security, coastal area management (to be defined during the internship) and provide/present summarized information to team members;
- provide feedback to NbS research linked to scoping studies and feasilibity studies;
- support on the research to answer questions on NbS coming from WWF Local offices;
- research for fundraising opportunities for the development of scoping and feasibility studies, and the implementation of NbS projects and pilots, and support grant applications to those funds (tbc);
- participate in development of proposals for scoping NbS studies, but also design and implementation proposals;
- provide support in the organization and participate in meetings and workshops.
We are looking for a master-student in environmental sciences/ nature conservation science/economics who is able to do independent research and motivated to work in a team on several concrete cases. Good English writing and speaking skills are a prerequisite.
Period: 6-9 months, starting September
Allowance: students achieve an allowance of €550,- per month on a full time basis
Information and Questions: contact your supervisor or Natascha Zwaal (email@example.com)
Please send your CV and motivation letter before July 10 to Natascha Zwaal (firstname.lastname@example.org), Merijn Hougee (email@example.com) and Angela Ortigara (firstname.lastname@example.org)